Belonging in Sport: Share Your Story
Why this matters
With legislation and organizing increasing around how various identities intersect, sport makes a natural landscape for discourse and broadening our knowledge of sex, gender, sexuality, and a sense of 'belonging' in sport. We want to hear your voice and experience.
Our June digital issue, Beyond the Binary in Sport, explores the spectra of sex, gender and sexuality that challenge our traditional understanding of sport and competition. These stories are increasingly central to the conversation around athlete and fan experience and the sense of belonging in sport.
We invite you to share your story and why it's pivotal to hold space and conversations that matter to us as athletes, fans and individuals. Below are our prompts to answer and easy instructions for recording your story.
What we're asking:
- What is your connection to sport?
- When it comes to sex, gender, and/or sexuality in sport, what issues or conversations matter, and why should others pay attention?
- When has sex, gender and/or sexuality played an important or memorable role in your life and in sports?
- Is there a time when sport made you feel a sense of belonging?
- What message do you want to give to your community and to those listening?
- Understanding sport matters because _____________.
Say the full line and then answer after ‘because’ with your response
Note: This button will take you to an external page where you can record your voice and describe your experience with a coach or leader. By submitting a recording, your audio story could be featured on Global Sport Matters digital platforms including our website, podcast, and social media channels. See our prompts above.
Last month, we asked listeners and readers to tell us about a leader in sport who made an impact on their life. Check out the episode.
How to record your story:
- Open the link above to record your responses.
If on computer, scroll up to view the prompts on left side of screen. If on mobile, scroll up from bottom of screen.
- Hit the record button to begin. No need to state your name, just start talking.
- After you're finished recording, press the same button to stop and again to proceed to the next step.
- Add your name and email so we can let you know we received your story. (We won't share anything without your consent)
- Then hit the paper airplane icon to send and you're done!
Beyond the Binary in Sport
The spectra of sex, gender, and sexuality challenge our traditional understanding of sport and competition, but are increasingly central to the conversation around athlete and fan experience.
With legislation and organizing increasing around how these various identities intersect, sport makes a natural landscape for discourse and broadening our knowledge of these conversations. How are perspectives changing, and what can we discover by diving into the multitudes underneath these nuanced topics?